School Board Members
Mark K. Cathey
William B. Hopkins, Jr.
Annette Lewis, Chairman
Laura D. Rottenborn
Lutheria H. Smith
Lori E. Vaught, Vice Chairman
School Board Priorities
- Achieve academic excellence for all students.
- Ensure the safest schools for our students and staff.
- Attract, train, and retain the best staff for our urban Division.
- Ensure efficient use, maintenance, and improvement of the
Division's facilities and infrastructure.
- Enhance arts, athletics and extracurricular activities.
2016-17 School Board Meeting Calendar
Contact the Board - email BoardClerk@rcps.info.info
School Board Overview
Article VIII, Section 7, of the Constitution of Virginia establishes the legal basis for local school boards by providing that, "The supervision of schools in each school division shall be vested in a school board to be composed of members selected in the manner, for the term, possessing the qualifications, and to the number provided by law."
In the City of Roanoke, School Board members are appointed by City Council for a three-year term of office. The terms of the seven-member Board are staggered, and no more than three Board seats are appointed each year. Board members may apply for reappointment to the Board and serve a maximum of three three-year terms.
The Clerk's Office for the City of Roanoke (540-853-2541) provides information regarding the qualifications required of a prospective Board member.
School Board Duties and Responsibilities
The School Board shall:
- Provide a program of quality instruction.
- Manage and direct the school system through the employment and evaluation of the superintendent, establishment of policy, and monitoring of budget, bond elections, fiscal accounting, tax and debt management, and plant construction and renovation.
- Guide the school system through the adoption of policies related to fiscal management, facilities development, personnel, instruction, students, and school/community/education agency relations.
- Enhance communications between community and staff by ensuring the public understands school system goals and programs; secure public support for the schools; promote the public's presence in the schools; establish effective communications with staff; encourage citizen attendance at Board meetings; and ensure response to public concerns.
BoardDocs (click to access Board information)
The Roanoke City School Board utilizes BoardDocs Pro for the production and dissemination of Board-related documents. BoardDocs provides a remarkably intuitive, lightning-fast eGovernance solution for managing every aspect of the preparation, approval and distribution of documents associated with the school division’s governance.
BoardDocs is a paperless agenda service that gives governing bodies turn-key electronic solutions for processing virtually any type of governance document, including agenda items, supporting documents, policies, procedures and more. BoardDocs alleviates the enormous task of assembling, printing, distributing and revising board packets.
BoardDocs’ unique, state-of-the-art solutions save taxpayers’ money, reduce staff time, improve board effectiveness, increase transparency in governance and have a positive effect on the environment.